Dentistry/CROWN REPLACEMENT DUE TO TOOTH DECAY

Question
IS IT TYPICAL FOR OLDER CROWNS (5 TO 10 yrs  old) TO GET TOOTH DECAY DUE TO OPEN MARGINS FROM CEMENT FALLING OUT OVER TIME. I FLOSS AND BRUSH MY TEETH ON A DAILY BASIS (2X'S/DAY...SOMETIMES MORE.)
ALSO I RESIDE IN CONNECTICUT AND MY DENTIST IS CHARGING ME $1200 FOR EVERYTHING (FILLING AND NEW CROWN)FOR TOOTH#18.IS THIS EASONABLE?
I HAVE NO INSURANCE FOR DENTAL REPAIRS....THANK YOU FOR YOUR TIME

Answer
Dear Douglas:
I am sorry to hear that you are having a problem with the crown you have.  Many crowns last years and years without any problems. However, it is not uncommon, even for the best of crowns to get recurrent decay under the gumline even after only a few years in service.
It is very difficult to tell the reason for the decay.  It can be due to an inferior quality work, but mostly it is due to the genetic makeup of the patient and mostly due to imperfect home care habits and not seeing the dentist/hygienist for regular maintenance cleanings.
I completely undertand your frustration, expecially if you do brush, floss, and see your dentist/hygienist regularly.
I have seen perfectly executed dental work leak the cement out around the crowns just due to the fact that the patient is a severe tooth grinder and the stresses he had put the crowns through were just too much.
Unfortunatly, after 5-10 years, it is entirly unreasonable to have your dentist be responsible for the probelms with the work.  It is actually an accepatable time frame, even by most insurance companies (and they watch the bottom line very carefully).
As to the fee...
At $1200 for the crown you will be paying an average fee for the work.  I can tell you that here in New York City, most specialists (Prosthodontists) will charge you $2000-$3000 for a crown and the general/family/cosmetic dentist will be at about $1500.
Unfortunatly, I cannot give you anymore information without examining your mouth and X-rays, but I will be more than happy to recommend a Prosthodontist colleague in your area for a second opinion from a specialist.
Best of luck,
Dr. Zev Kaufman

Dentistry

Zev Kaufman, D.D.S.