Dentistry/Pain

Question
Hello,

I had all 4 wisdom teeth and one lower tooth removed 1.5 years ago.
I'm 37 female and the wisdom teeth were causing me huge discomfort and made my teeth crooked.

Even though it's been 1.5 years, I have pain (sometimes excruciating) pain only on my right side where the extractions were also jaw/joint pain.  It can be unbearable to the point where I think I'm dying. It usually happens when I eat.

I don't have dental insurance anymore and last time I went the dentist (I don't think she likes me) refused to give me an antibiotic or any rx for my concerns. She just gave me an expensive quote for more dental work.

Is it normal to have such extreme pain after so long?

Thank you for your time,

Sandra

Answer
Hi Sandra,

It is common for people who have had wisdom teeth extractions to experience discomfort and pain.  Now, just because it is common or "normal" does not mean you should have to endure pain for an extended length of time.  You will have treatment options.

The later in life you have your wisdom teeth extracted, the more risk there is for complications or jaw pain.

What probably happened is that the removal of your wisdom teeth has upset your bite, and the symmetry within your facial muscles.  The jaw pain you describe, sounds like it could be TMJ.....Temporal Mandibular Joint Disorder. You mention pain when eating.  Do you also have pain when talking?  Does your tongue rest comfortably in your mouth, in the same way it did before your wisdom teeth extraction?

As I said, you will have treatment options.  You need to seek out a board certified dentist whose PRIMARY work is the treatment of TMJ.  All dentists will claim they have treated TMJ and can treat you.  But that's not good enough.  You want a dentist that works with TMJ patients on a daily basis.  A TMJ Specialist.

One of the likely things your dentist will do is to make a night guard appliance for your teeth that you will wear when sleeping. This appliance acts as a buffer to prevent teeth grinding and can give your jaw a much needed opportunity to relax and prevent further wear and tear on your jaw joints.

Any dentist can take molds of your teeth, send them off to a lab, and then put a night guard appliance in your mouth. That's no trick.  The hard part is not ordering the lab to produce a night guard.  The part that really takes skill is the fitting and tailoring of that night guard just right, so that it feels comfortable for you.  Even for the best dentists this is hard to do, so that's why I emphasis finding someone that does a lot of this kind of work.  It is very rare that this could be accomplished in one office visit.  It could take several visits of making adjustments to get it just right.  If it does not feel right, don't be afraid to speak up.

Some suggestions.  First, do your research in finding the right dentist for the job.  Believe it or not, TMJ is very common.  Ask your friends, and other people you know if they have gone to a TMJ specialist. Get recommendations. Try getting in the habit of sleeping on your back.  The correct sleeping posture can do wonders for the pain you are experiencing.  There is also a book I bought last year that I thought was great...."The TMJ Healing Plan" by Cynthia Peterson.  There is an electronic version of it that you can read on your Kindle or iPad.  I ordered mine through Amazon.

Oh, and one more thing....I paid $900 for my night guard.  That included the appliance, office visit and follow-up visits, etc.

Sandra....good luck and please check back with me and let me know how you did.

Best Regards,
Jonathan
Patient Point of View  

Dentistry

Jonathan at PatientBabble