Dentistry/post root canal treatment

I had the root canal treatment done for my 2 posterior teeth 1 year back. The need was to cure the infection caused due to nerve damage for cracked-tooth syndrome. I was told that my last tooth had very bad infection in the root. Hence even root canal treatment may not cure it completely and i may have to go for a tooth extraction in near future. So we waited for nearly a month after the treatment, and once the tooth became stable, they put the crown, it was a joint crown for the 2 teeth. One year has passed, till now i was able to chew food properly without any discomfort. But now the last tooth has started paining again. I went to the dentist and they took an x-ray which shows infection in the root of the last tooth. I assumed this time i will be told to go for an extraction. But they say i need not go for that. Instead they suggest to go for scaling & cutirage (i hope i spelled it correctly). They also say that this will not cure the root infection, but can relieve pain from gums. And that its not bad even if the infection stays there, unless it troubles me asymptomatically.
Can you please give your opinion on this. What i want to know basically is, retaining an infection in any part of the body, is it not risky? Also will extraction cure the infection?
Thanks & regards.

hi papiya
get your tooth removed! cracked tooth syndrome teeth dont respond to scaling and curretage! the earlier you get it removed the better. atleast the underlying bone will stay healthy and would have a chance of dental implant or some sort of replacement.
best wishes
dr m

dr mayank kaurani BDS, MDS

rootcanals, cosmetic dentistry, dental pain, cavities, tooth colored fillings, endodontic diagnosis, post & cores, ceramic veneers, composite fillings, dental whitening, bleaching etc. please remember: i cannot treat you online and neither can i touch your teeth or test their health! i can give you general suggestions and critically evaluate various treatments and offer my advice.

14 years of clinical experience. i am a professor in a postgraduate dental school, in the department of endodontics. my primary field of specialization is in endodontics and conservative dentistry. i am a consultant endodontist in private dental clinics and run my own clinic restricted to conservative dentistry & endodontics since 2006.

DENTAL SPA, JAIPUR (INDIA). Mahatma Gandhi Dental College, jaipur(india)

new york state dental journal journal of contemporary dental practise

BDS, MDS (conservative dentistry & endodontics)