Dentistry/post root canal treatment

Question
I had the root canal treatment done for my 2 posterior teeth 1 year back. The need was to cure the infection caused due to nerve damage for cracked-tooth syndrome. I was told that my last tooth had very bad infection in the root. Hence even root canal treatment may not cure it completely and i may have to go for a tooth extraction in near future. So we waited for nearly a month after the treatment, and once the tooth became stable, they put the crown, it was a joint crown for the 2 teeth. One year has passed, till now i was able to chew food properly without any discomfort. But now the last tooth has started paining again. I went to the dentist and they took an x-ray which shows infection in the root of the last tooth. I assumed this time i will be told to go for an extraction. But they say i need not go for that. Instead they suggest to go for scaling & cutirage (i hope i spelled it correctly). They also say that this will not cure the root infection, but can relieve pain from gums. And that its not bad even if the infection stays there, unless it troubles me asymptomatically.
Can you please give your opinion on this. What i want to know basically is, retaining an infection in any part of the body, is it not risky? Also will extraction cure the infection?
Thanks & regards.
Papiya

Answer
hi papiya
get your tooth removed! cracked tooth syndrome teeth dont respond to scaling and curretage! the earlier you get it removed the better. atleast the underlying bone will stay healthy and would have a chance of dental implant or some sort of replacement.
best wishes
dr m

Dentistry

dr mayank kaurani BDS, MDS