Dentistry/preventative gumline fillings

I am 65 years old. My dentist of many years retired. The dentist who took over his practice keeps suggesting gum line fillings to prevent decay. I do not currently have cavities or sensitivity in these
places. He is concerned about gum recessions that have been stable for years. I am not sure that the work is needed or beneficial and would appreciate your opinion.
Thank you.

Often, when the necks of teeth have recession, the tooth experiences erosions . These tend to enlarge with time since dentin is exposed and dentin is soft and erodes when it is exposed in the mouth. Often fillings are recommended to restore these erosions and limit their future enlargement. If these fillings are carefully executed they are definitely beneficial in the long term. Sixty five is relatively a young age and I believe that if you have erosion(s) it should be filled.

Lawrence Spindel DDS,

Cosmetic Dentistry, Endodontics, General Dentistry, Preventive Dentistry, Comprehensive Dental Care

Former Clinical Instructor of Comprehensive Dentistry, and Prosthodontic Department New York University School of Dentistry. Also former instructor of Preventive Dentistry Columbia University School of Dentistry.

Ask Dr Spindel Dental Blog also numerous articles on (over 100 pages of original content)

1980 DDS New York University College of Dentistry 1981 GPR Manhattan VA Hospital

OKU 1980 Honor Society 1980 Long Island Academy of Odontology award for highest combined Academic and Clinical Achievement.
In 1997 he was elected to Fellowship into the International Academy for Dental Facial Esthetics