Dentistry/preventative gumline fillings

Question
I am 65 years old. My dentist of many years retired. The dentist who took over his practice keeps suggesting gum line fillings to prevent decay. I do not currently have cavities or sensitivity in these
places. He is concerned about gum recessions that have been stable for years. I am not sure that the work is needed or beneficial and would appreciate your opinion.
Thank you.

Answer
Often, when the necks of teeth have recession, the tooth experiences erosions . These tend to enlarge with time since dentin is exposed and dentin is soft and erodes when it is exposed in the mouth. Often fillings are recommended to restore these erosions and limit their future enlargement. If these fillings are carefully executed they are definitely beneficial in the long term. Sixty five is relatively a young age and I believe that if you have erosion(s) it should be filled.

Dentistry

Lawrence Spindel DDS, www.lspindeldds.com