Dentistry/Re-treat Root Canal

Dear Dr. Teig,  For some reason I couldn't ask a follow up question or rate your answer (your advice is exceptional)..

Anyway, the first root canal that was done by the dentist was done in one visit.  The re-treat is being done in 3 visits.  The endodontist said he always does it in 3 treatments (whether it's the first or a re-treat)to make sure everything is OK before he closes it.  He had a very hard time cleaning out the canals and taking the post out of #19 tooth.  He is still not finished cleaning out one canal.  I go back to him tomorrow hopefully to finish the re-treat.  This time around even the antibiotics are not working for me.

I think you're the end I think it will have to be pulled.  By now the tooth may even be fractured.

Any other thoughts before my appointment tomorrow?

Thank you so much for your advice.

Sharon -  My suggestion to you is to be totally aware of what the endodontist is doing.  Ask questions of why the pain is still there before he works on you.  Ask how long till all the pain is gone.

I wish you well and hope the doctor can save the tooth.

Joel S. Teig, DMD, Diplomate ABOMS, retired

I am a board certified oral and maxillofacial surgeon and I am available to answer questions related to tooth extractions, implant insertion, facial recontruction, facial and oral tumor removal, TMJ dysfunction and various successful treatments, including surgery if all else fails, and occlusal discrepancy requiring orthognathic or jaw surgery.

Board Certified Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeon practicine for over 20 years. Assistant Clincal Professor and State University School of Dentistry.

American Dental Association, American Association of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeons, American Board of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeons

BA -University of Connecticut DMD - University of Pennsylvania School of Dental Medicine

National Honor Society (OKU), Philadelphia County Dental Society, Mosby Book Award, Oral Surgery Honors, Summa Cum Laude