Dentistry/14 MOD vs 14 D

Question
My girlfriend's dentist retired to California. Before going to another dentist we saw in just received dental records and wondered about #14 tooth. First it was MOD treatment and in five months D surface again.  

Is it possibly a mis-typing because the same surface was treated so often?

Another question is about codes.

We are guessing that B means bonding (#13B)?

Can't find a description for MOB (#31)?

The last question is about x-raying a tooth when there is a panoramic view. Can x-ray provide additional information?

Thank you for educating us.

Ivan.

Answer
Dear Ivan:
This video blog entry was produced this week and posted today,  just for you:

Surfaces of a Tooth in Dental Lingo: http://youtu.be/T6AvXeUCzF0

As to the entries in your doctor's chart, I cannot possibly comment on that, since I cannot see your xrays, examine you clinically or know what the doctor meant.

A panoramic x-ray, is not a proper diagnostics tool for dental caries or commonly known cavities. There are however some panoramic machines which are getting more and more detailed in their image. Today the standard of care for diagnosing dental cavities is it still the traditional small periapical and bitewing xrays. These xrays are much more detailed, and along with a clinical examination, will give most dentists and patients the proper diagnosis.

For more specific information, please talk to your new dentist.

Best wishes,  

Dentistry

Zev Kaufman, D.D.S.