Dentistry/crowns

Question
combined crowns
combined crowns  
hello doctor i am 37 and had a combined dental crown on the upper front three root canalled teeth  for five years.i almost sleep with open mouth in the night(my wife said)did this cause protrusion of the front combined crown?

Answer
Hi Renjith and thanks for your question.

I am sure you can appreciate that without proper examination and evaluation of all diagnostic toold such as X-rays, I cannot give you a definitive diagnosis.  What I can tell you is that although the teeth have had root canal treatment, it does not exclude them from underlying periodontal disease, which would cause loss of the supporting bone for the roots and allow for movement.  In fact, there are 2 pathological conditions, endo-perio lesions and perio-endo lesions, which develop as a "complication" with root canal treatment, where the original infection is not completely resolved by the root canal and the acidic nature of the pus erodes the bone support for the remaining tooth and root.  There might even be underlying periodontal disease unrelated to the root canal and your dentist should examine this in greater detail and possibly refer you to a periodontist if needed, so that this can be eliminated as a possible cause.  Also, the position of your tongue could affect the position and movement of the front teeth, especially during sleep when you have no control over function, but one would assume that the tongue muscle itself would not stay in a state of active contraction pressed against the inner surface of the front teeth.  You may want to consider having a night guard or bite plate made for wear during sleep to eliminate this as a possible cause and stabilize the occlusion while you are asleep - this may slow down the movement, even though it wouldn't eliminate the cause if underlying periodontal disease is present.  Either way, get your dentist to do a full perio screening of all your teeth and evaluate the bone support or lack thereof - its a good place to start.  I hope this helps and wish you all the very best further, take care.

Kind regards
Dr Craig Peck

Dentistry

Dr Craig W Peck ( B.Med.Sc., B.Ch.D., Clin. Botox, Cosmet. Derm.)