Dentistry/Dental Crown

Question
Hi, I have had a titanium crown on my upper molar for about two months or there about. The crown is obviously short; meaning it has a gap between the crown and the gum. A visible gap and it is so sensitive that it hurts to brush and I can not drink on that side and have to be careful when I eat. I had the new crown put on to replaced a broken porcelain one that was there for six years. I do not have receding gums and there was no trauma in that area of the gum or anything. I recently had an implant on the other side and the periodontitis that did my implant said my gums are in excellent condition. (I finished up with the implant so have not been back since having the crown done) I really think this crown was made too short and now I want to be certain before I ask that it be remade- as I know they are very expensive and my dentist has to wait three weeks for that type of crown to come back. If it was improperly made and put on anyway; I love my dentist but do not feel I should be made pay for another crown or made to live with this pain. Should there be a large gap between the crown and gum? I can see the white dentin of the actual tooth between the crown and gum. Also, it is so sensitive and I use sensodyne and stuff from the dentist for sensitivity that I have had before with no relief.

Answer
Dear Charieese,

Some crowns are designed to have supragingival margins and some teeth experience gingival recession after a mold is made for the crown. The fact that you can see the tooth between the crown and your gums doesn't necessarily mean that your crown does not fit.
That being said, your crown should be comfortable and not sensitive to cold. You may want to return to your dentist and ask him if redoing your crown might help. If you have been happy with your dentists dental work this is probably your best bet. If you are not happy with his answer a second opinion from another dentist could be a good idea.  

Dentistry

Lawrence Spindel DDS, www.lspindeldds.com