Dentistry/Dry socket

I have had a dry socket for 4 weeks. Been packed 6 or 7 times.  Now packing came out again and is hurting. Should I let it heal on it's own or repack again?

Ash - If the healing has not completely progressed by 4 weeks, it might be appropriate for you to get an evaluation by a different doctor.  You don't say the type of doctor you are seeing, but if you have not been evaluated by a board certified oral and maxillofacial surgeon by now, have one examine you.  It is not worth waiting.  A continuation of the problem for this long, might not be dry socket but a degeneration of the bone might be present.  Don't put if off.  If you have not seen a board certified surgeon by now, see one!

Joel S. Teig, DMD, Diplomate ABOMS, retired

I am a board certified oral and maxillofacial surgeon and I am available to answer questions related to tooth extractions, implant insertion, facial recontruction, facial and oral tumor removal, TMJ dysfunction and various successful treatments, including surgery if all else fails, and occlusal discrepancy requiring orthognathic or jaw surgery.

Board Certified Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeon practicine for over 20 years. Assistant Clincal Professor and State University School of Dentistry.

American Dental Association, American Association of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeons, American Board of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeons

BA -University of Connecticut DMD - University of Pennsylvania School of Dental Medicine

National Honor Society (OKU), Philadelphia County Dental Society, Mosby Book Award, Oral Surgery Honors, Summa Cum Laude