Dentistry/mouthguard and root canal tooth

Question
Hi Dr. Teig,

I just did a retreatment of a root canal at the endodontist but I forgot to ask this question to him so I was wondering if you know this. After retreatment, is it safe to wear my mouthguard? I haven't worn my mouthguard in months so when I fit it in tonight it's going to be tight and probably will squeeze the tooth at the front. Since there will be pressure put on the tooth from the mouthguard, is that okay or should I just not wear it at all? Reason I am wearing a mouthguard is because I'm clenching. I don't want to clench that tooth but not sure if excessive pressure from the mouthguard is going to ruin the tooth in some way. Thanks!

Answer
Janice - Any root canal tooth is more brittle and fragile than any tooth that has had no root canal treatment.  For that reason, if your mouthguard was made prior to the redo of the root canal treatment, it is important for the dentist who made the guard or any dentist you might now be seeing you, to evaluate the tightness or correct fit of the guard to prevent any excess forces that could damage the tooth.

So have your dentist check the bite and the fit of the mouthguard to prevent any potential problem.

Any further questions, feel free to contact me again.

Dentistry

Joel S. Teig, DMD, Diplomate ABOMS, retired