Dentistry/in need of major dental work and dentures

Question
QUESTION: I live in Berkeley California and i am disabled, i have exausted just about every where i could find dental work at no cost. and can not find any. My teeth are broken at the gum line and have cavities as well, i have been told by 3 different dentist that i need oral surgery to remove 12 teeth and have a upper denture and lower partial denture, pleaseif there is any one out there that can help i can not afford any type of payments, i live off 1200.
00 a month and don't get any help with food stamps. so with that and having to pay my own medical along with rent for my apartment its lucky i even eat. so please again i need dental work of the nature stated above at no cost. Thank you
Richard

ANSWER: Hello Richard,

I am sorry you are having such a hard time with your teeth, and also trying to find a way to pay for the dental work.

Have you tried a dental clinic at a school near where you live?  Sometimes they have students, who under the supervision of experienced teachers are willing to do the work, at a reduced cost.

Another idea, is to talk to the "benefits person" at the dental office of your choice.  Many offices have a dedicated person, who's job it is to navigate the cumbersome process of insurance, or set up finance plans.

If it were me, and I was in your position, I think I would try a get a flat rate for the entire job, and then work out a financing arrangement with the office.  Perhaps they can spread out payments over 36 to 48 months??

I am not sure if your disability is preventing you from returning to the work place.  If that is the case, and you are unable to work, try contacting a government health department in your area.  Maybe there is a social worker, who's job it is to help those, who can not afford to pay.

Your dental problem sounds serious, and I would like for you to press the issue and get something done about it.

Best Regards,
Jonathan
Patient POV

QUESTION: Thank you for your quick response, However i have tried all the methods you have mentioned and i am still hitting a brick wall.  I did hear that Medical
was supposed to be giving coverage for seniors with disabilities but that
has fallen to the way side so i am back to point one.  I am so nervous because i have other medical issues that may start to make this even more serious, But thank you for trying if you hear any thing knew could you please email me.

Thanks again
Richard

Answer
Hi Richard,

I have not heard anything new regarding how to pay for your dental work.

My suggestion is to re-read my above commentary, and just keep trying to find a way to finance the work.  Maybe they could just do half of the job this year?  See if they can prioritize the work and do it in small pieces.

Best Regards,
Jonathan
Patient Point of View

Dentistry

Jonathan at PatientBabble