Dentistry/pain after filling

Question
dear dr.

my tooth hurts when chewing crunchy food after I had filling from  small cavity ....the dr asked me to wait to see if the pain will go away....I waited one month and 1 week but the pain is still there...so then I went back to him and he placed a temporary filling to check if the pain will go away...its been 4 days and the pain is still there only when chewing crunchy food...how long more should I wait to see of the pain will go away?

thx

Answer
In your narrative you explain that your cavity was small but it sounds as if he may have prepared a large filling since  when the amount of tooth structure removed is large, the part that remains intact flexes when a patient chews on hard crunchy foods. If that is the case sometimes the tooth is more comfortable when crowned, since the forces are distributed better.

Another possibility is your pain is coming from a tooth adjacent to the filled tooth. If an adjacent tooth has a crack in it , that maybe the cause of you symptoms. It is really difficult to diagnose your problem without an actual examination. Your dentist is the best person to ask if this was the case, and ask what you should do.  If you do not want to ask him, than seek a second opinion from a different dentist?

Dentistry

Lawrence Spindel DDS, www.lspindeldds.com