Dear Dr. Backlund, hi I'm so glad to find an endodontist here! Well, what happened was I just recently went to an endodontist to do a retreatment of a tooth that has had problems for years! Well today was the first of 2 appointments I have with him. He will be out of town for several weeks so I can't go back to him for some time. But in the meantime, I was wondering if you can answer this for me since you are a specialist. I did a retreatment because something was wrong with the root canal from years back. Even before having my first root canal, there's this part of my tooth (and this is the front tooth) that is yellow on the side. When I tap on the yellow part of the tooth, it seems more sensitive and hurts more than other parts. Same thing on the back of the tooth, same side. The yellowing is internal, not external. And I did forget to tell my endodontist that before he started the procedure but he was tapping on different parts of my tooth to see where the sensitivity or pain was coming from. But I didn't direct him to the yellow part right away so I was just wondering is that important for him to know or regardless if I did or not, the root canal would of been done the same way? I know you can't see it, but hopefully you have an idea by me describing it. Please let me know if you do need more information from me. Also, after a root canal, is it normal for it to be so sore that even tapping on it feels like before and would it eventually go away? Thanks!

Hi Monica,

I'm sorry it has taken so long to get this question, but allexperts is having email problems and I just received this tonight. It really isn't important to be specific about where the tapping causes problems because the sensation comes from the nerves at the end of the tooth, in the bone, and tapping a certain way is what aggravates those nerves. When the tooth completely heals, I would expect that tapping to go away.

After dental treatment, especially after retreating a root canal, the tooth will usually be sore for a few days as the body starts to heal. Usually the discomfort is minimal and goes away in a few days. If you don't get improvement, make sure to tell your endodontist as he/she would want to know that.

Once again, I'm sorry it took so long to respond to you.

Gary Backlund DMD, MSD  

Gary Backlund, DMD, MSD

I am an Endodontist ( root canal specialist ) and can answer questions about root canals and their treatment. I cannot diagnose or treat online, but can answer general questions. I have been a specialist for 25 years and am Past President of the Washington State Association of Endodontists.

25 years practicing as a specialist

American Association of Endodonists, Past President Washington State Association of Endodontists.