Dentistry/retreatment of tooth and mouthguard

I just did a retreatment of a root canal at the endodontist but I forgot to ask this question to him so I was wondering if you know this. After retreatment, is it safe to wear my mouthguard? I haven't worn my mouthguard in months so when I fit it in tonight it's going to be tight and probably will squeeze the tooth at the front. Since there will be pressure put on the tooth from the mouthguard, is that okay or should I just not wear it at all? Reason I am wearing a mouthguard is because I'm clenching. I don't want to clench that tooth but not sure if excessive pressure from the mouthguard is going to ruin the tooth in some way. Also, after retreatment, does the tooth get even weaker than before? Thanks!

Hi Janice,

I'm sorry it has taken so long to get this question, but allexperts is having email problems and I just received this tonight.

You probably already have an answer, but there should be no problem wearing your mouthguard as long as the tooth is comfortable.

AQS for strength, as long as there was no excessive removal of tooth structure during the retreat, there should not be any difference in strength of the tooth.

Once again, I'm sorry it has taken me so long to get this question.

Gary Backlund DMD, MSD

Gary Backlund, DMD, MSD

I am an Endodontist ( root canal specialist ) and can answer questions about root canals and their treatment. I cannot diagnose or treat online, but can answer general questions. I have been a specialist for 25 years and am Past President of the Washington State Association of Endodontists.

25 years practicing as a specialist

American Association of Endodonists, Past President Washington State Association of Endodontists.