Dentistry/root canal and gums

white outline between teeth and gums
white outline between  
Dear Dr. Gary Backlund:

I recently had a retreatment done a couple of weeks ago. The tooth is still sore, I have to wait for my endodontist to come back into town. It seems to have gotten more sore. But my question is, since this is a front tooth, I noticed that in the last couple of days there's this white outline between the teeth and gums, that outlines the roof of the tooth on the gums. I wonder if that is anything to be concerned about or anything to do with the root canal itself? It looks something like this, I found this picture that kind of resembles it. If that link doesn't work, I have attached a picture for you as backup. Please let me know if that is anything dangerous or bad? Is it possible that white outline has anything to do with my soreness from the root canal or some other possible issue? Thanks.

Hi Keke,

I'm sorry to hear you're still having problems with your root canal. However, I have some good news for you. The white line you see is highly unlikely to be related to the root canal at all. Unfortunately, the photobucket jpg would not open, so I'm going by the one at this site. When there are gum issues from a root canal, they are high up on the gum in the area where the end of the root of the tooth is. I would suggest that when your endodontist returns, you should make an appointment for a recheck since the tooth is still bothering you.

Hope this sets your mind at ease.

Gary Backlund DMD, MSD

Gary Backlund, DMD, MSD

I am an Endodontist ( root canal specialist ) and can answer questions about root canals and their treatment. I cannot diagnose or treat online, but can answer general questions. I have been a specialist for 25 years and am Past President of the Washington State Association of Endodontists.

25 years practicing as a specialist

American Association of Endodonists, Past President Washington State Association of Endodontists.