Dentistry/Sensitive Teeth

Question
Thank you for taking my question:
I have three sensitive teeth.  Two lower incisors and one lower back molar.  Question: The two incisors are chipped on top.  When I complained of sensitivity, my dentist repaired one incisor tooth but the sensitivity remains.  I have been using Sensodyne for over a month but without noticeable improvement.  The pain in the incisors lingers after contact with hot or cold drinks.  The large molar is also sensitive to hot and cold.  
All three teeth have been x-rayed and have no evidence of decay or inflammation.  The molar has a deep filling, but the incisors have no fillings (other than the recent repair.)

Question: 1.Are the nerves dying in these teeth? I am concerned that I will need three root canals and crowns.
2. Should I give the Sensodyne more time?  Does it make a difference whether I use an electric or a manual toothbrush?  My dentist said I can apply the Sensodyne with my finger instead of brushing with it.

I would appreciate your advice.

Answer
Dear James,

It is not all that uncommon for patients to have some sensitive teeth with no obvious visible problem. Sometimes the problem is that the patient is either grinding or bruxing their teeth at night and this is irritating to the pulps of the teeth involved. Also some people whose mouths dry out at night complain that their anterior teeth can become sensitiveafterwards, probably because the teeth become temporarily dessicated. I am not sure what is causing your sensitivity. Sensodyne does not always work to decrease sensitivity. Some dentists prescribe flouride rinses or Prevident flouride toothpaste.  

Dentistry

Lawrence Spindel DDS, www.lspindeldds.com