Dentistry/Sensitive Teeth

Question
I have three sensitive teeth.  Two lower incisors and one lower back molar.  Question: The two incisors are chipped on top.  When I complained of sensitivity, my dentist repaired one incisor tooth but the sensitivity remains.  I have been using Sensodyne for over a month but without noticeable improvement.  The pain in the incisors lingers after contact with hot or cold drinks.  The large molar is also sensitive to hot and cold.  
All three teeth have been x-rayed and have no evidence of decay or inflammation.  The molar has a deep filling, but the incisors have no fillings (other than the recent repair.)

Question: 1.Are the nerves dying in these teeth? I am concerned that I will need three root canals and crowns.
2. Should I give the Sensodyne more time?  Does it make a difference whether I use an electric or a manual toothbrush?  My dentist said I can apply the Sensodyne with my finger instead of brushing with it.

I would appreciate your advice.

Answer
Hi James,

I just finally answered this question, but you added a little bit more....it doesn't matter whether you use a manual, electric or your fingers to apply the Sensodyne...it's the chemical in it that works, not the method of application.

Gary Backlund DMD, MSD

Dentistry

Gary Backlund, DMD, MSD