Dentistry/swollen gums + braces

Hi there, I am 17, and have had my braces on for a year now. I can't remember when it started, but my gums around just two teeth on my right side of my mouth are quite swollen. I have excellent oral hygiene- I brush (electric toothbrush as recommended by my dentist)2-3 times daily, floss every day, and use a little spiral brush to get in between the brackets every day. My dentist/hygienist, who is very thorough, said that she thinks there is glue or stuff from when they put the braces on under my gums and itís causing irritation, and that itís not gum decease because itís only around 2 teeth. Also, when the braces get tightened the gums around those 2 teeth tend to swell a little more than usual- is this just evidence that I have sensitive gums? How do I get rid of this problem? Am I doing something wrong?? What Iím most worried about is the swelling not going away when the braces come off! Please help with any advice! Thanks!

Dear Kira:
I am thrilled that you are taking the oral health seriously.  I have seen so many young adults who go through orthodontic treatment, only to have a mouth full of cavities at the end of treatment.
You are rightfully concerned and you must ask your orthodontist to address this issue.
If it is just composite cement, which is used to secure the braces in place, it is readily removed by a simple scraping of the tooth surface, however this should be done only by a professional hygienist or dentist.
There are other reasons why this could be occurring, but the only way to know is by physically examining you.
Please talk to for orthodontist as soon as possible.
Best off luck,
Dr.Zev Kaufman

Zev Kaufman, D.D.S.

I can answer any question from simple routine dentistry to very complex dentistry with emphasis on reconstructive, cosmetic, and implant dentistry. My expertise is in co-ordination of very complex treatment plans with other dental specialists or as a one-man-team, since I have extensive training in Prosthodontics, Surgical Implantology, and orthodontics.

Over a decade in private practice of Surgical Implantology and Prosthodontics. Founder and owner of Prosthodontics & Implant Surgery of Manhattan, PC. Clinical Assistant Professor at the Post-Graduate Department of Periodontics & Implant Dentistry at New York University College of Dentistry. Lecture weekly since 1999 on advanced Implant Prosthodontics at New York University College of Dentistry Post-Graduate Program in Periodontics & Implant Dentistry. Former clinical assistant professor of Dental Radiology at the NYU College of Dentistry. Former clinical and lecture faculty at Lincoln Hospital, Dental residency program. Former clinical and lecture faculty at St. Barnabas Hospital (Bronx, NY) dental residency program. Lecture nationally on Prosthodontics and Implant Dentistry.

Memeber of the American College of Prosthodontics. Memeber of the Acacdemy of Osseointegration. Member or the Omikron Kappa Upsilon (OKU) Honors Dental Society. Member of the American Dental Education Association.

Graduated with Honors from New York University College of Dentistry. Post-Graduate training and certificate in the specialty of Prosthodontics. Post-Graduate training and ceritificate in Surgical and Prosthetic Implant Dentistry. Honors-program in Comprehensive and Applied Practice Management. Honors-program in Orthodontics.

NYU Cervice award to the community. OKU honor society. National Dean's List. National Who's Who.