Dentistry/swollen gums because of braces

Question
Hi there, I am 17, and have had my braces on for a year now. I can't remember when it started, but my gums around just two teeth on my right side of my mouth are quite swollen. I have excellent oral hygiene- I brush (electric toothbrush as recommended by my dentist)2-3 times daily, floss every day, and use a little spiral brush to get in between the brackets every day. My dentist/hygienist, who is very thorough, said that she thinks there is glue or stuff from when they put the braces on under my gums and itís causing irritation, and that itís not gum decease because itís only around 2 teeth. Also, when the braces get tightened the gums around those 2 teeth tend to swell a little more than usual- is this just evidence that I have sensitive gums? How do I get rid of this problem? Am I doing something wrong?? What Iím most worried about is the swelling not going away when the braces come off! Please help with any advice! Thank you very much!

Answer
hi kira!
starting of gum infection because of braces or flare up of existing gum infection due to braces is very common!
the trick to managing such problems is: removing the bracket of that tooth, xrays and necessary gum treatment usually resolves such problems! go to a periodontist(docs specialising in gum therapy) and get it sorted!
best wishes

Dentistry

dr mayank kaurani BDS, MDS