Dentistry/toothache

Question
Hi Doc. Two days ago, I had a tooth that was sore. I recognized thus symptom and called my dentist. Due to it being about a week before I can see him, he called me in a prescription for keflex. The tooth is inflamed. I'm taking ibuprofin, 600mg every 6 hours.This tooth had a root canal about 6 years ago and has been sore since then but never been a full fledged toothache. Can the same tooth require another root canal years later?

Answer
Sam -  occasionally some living bacteria remains within the nerve canal or in the ligament surrounding the tooth and holding it to bone.  These bacteria can die off eventually, but sometimes they linger and break out at times of low resistance.  If this is the situation, root canal redo might be necessary or the dentist can send you to an oral and maxillofacial surgeon for a procedure called an apicoectomy to clean out the end of the root and the tissue surrounding it.

So use the antibiotic now, begin warm salt water rinses a few times a day for a minute or so.  this will help to calm the infection.  The dentist should see you right after the holiday and correct the problem.

Dentistry

Joel S. Teig, DMD, Diplomate ABOMS, retired