Dentistry/Bone growth or tumor?

Good Evening,

The last 3 days, I have felt with my tongue, a hard pellet sized lump on the inner right mandible, about an inch below my first molar on the lower right side. Its hard, round and not moveable. I felt on the left side in the same area that feels almost alikem but not as profound as the right side.I felt both areas with my finger and I can tell there is a small round bump, as hard as a pellet on that right side. Ironically, I just had my dental examination with a PANO and Bitewings, along with a Cleaning and the provider said there was no cavities or issues. Basically I was wondering if this is something to be concerned about or could this just be normal? No Fever, swollen lymph nodes ect. I do get apthous Ulcers due to using SLS toothpaste every now and then, but other than that, no issues. Any help would be greatly appreciated! Good Day

Hi Scott and thanks for your question.

I am sure you can appreciate the difficulty and danger of me giving you a definitive diagnosis without physically examining you, but I can shed some light on your finding.

Given what you have described and the absence of any notable symptoms of the pathology, there is a very good chance what you are describing is called a torus mandibularis. This is a benign bone growth protruding under the mucosa, or lining tissue of the mouth, of the mouth usually located on the inner aspect of the mandible, either bilaterally or unilaterally.  It poses no risk for the future development of any disease and is considered a co-incidental finding by dentists during oral examination, rarely causing any problems unless the mucosa over the swelling is traumatized.  But as I said, this is only a differential diagnosis and I would advise that you mention this to your dentist at your next appointment, especially if you notice any obvious changes to the swelling such as pain, ulceration, bleeding, sloughing off of the over-lying mucosa, colour changes, increased mobility of the teeth in the nearby area, etc.

I hope this helps and wish you all the very best further, take care.

Kind regards
Dr Craig Peck

Dr Craig W Peck ( B.Med.Sc., B.Ch.D., Clin. Botox, Cosmet. Derm.)

I am a General Dental Practitioner, with special interests in Cosmetic Dentistry & facial aesthetics and Periodontology, placing a strong emphasis on the establishment and maintenance of a healthy periodontium (the support structure of the tooth) before cosmetic options are considered. I uphold all principles of prevention above interventional treatment and try as far as possible, to remain conservative in my approach. I believe in detailed, open and honest patient discussion, establishing what the patients expectations are and what the reality is of achieving this and involving the patient at every level of the treatment. I have strong principles on ethical treatment and appropriate patient management. I have chosen to treat and rehabilitate many nervous and phobic patients, who, for whatever reason, find it impossible to take part in the very important task of even a routine check-up. I will accept questions relating to general and cosmetic dentistry (in conjunction with the use of facial cosmetic procedures) and dental fears/phobias. I will be more than willing to answer any academic questions in dentistry, biology, physiology, psychology and health sciences in general. As most dentists will tell you, there is often not only one way of dealing with a dental issue - so very often, there is no precise right and wrong way of approaching the problem. All clinicians vary when it comes to treatments and what works best in their hands is often the treatment that is advised. Be understanding of this and bear in mind that nothing lasts forever! Patients are happy to accept only a one-years warrantee when buying a new car, but seem to expect that dental work is going to last them their lifetime.

I have worked for many years in the UK and RSA as a general dental practitioner - within the NHS, private practice and the government dental health services. I am certificated for the administration of Botox and Dermal Fillers for facial lines and wrinkles as I have attended further courses in minimally invasive facial cosmetic procedures. I started seeing an increasing number of patients who presented with severe to moderate dental fears, even with full-blown phobias, so I started with the slow and patient task of tackling this problem and have successfully rehabilitated many patients. The key is good, effective, concise and understandable communication, shifting control from the dentist to the patient in order to slowly, but confidently, regain their trust back in dentistry, thereby giving them the feeling of achievement and this self-empowerment which drives them to the next level of treatment.

Academy of General Dentistry. American Dental Education Association. IAPAM (International Association for Physicians in Aesthetic Medicine). Professional Speakers, Writers and Managements Consultants in Dentistry. The British Dental Association. UK Aesthetics Group. ARC - Aesthetic Professionals. Botox. Aesthetics & Beauty. American Association for Dental Research. FDI - World Dental Federation. SOURCE1uk. World Dental Hygiene Forum. ProDentalCPD. Public Health Dentistry. Dentist Network. LinkedIn. Who's Who of South Africa.

B.Med.Sc. Degree (Medical Physiology and Medical Virology; Physiology Cum Laude; Stell 1994). B.Ch.D. Degree (Bachelor of Dental Surgery; Clinical Dentistry Cum Laude; Stell 1997). CPR and CPR-Advanced Courses (2000/2001; UK). Clinical Botox (UK, 2001). Cosmetic Dermatology (Botox and Dermal Fillers; RSA 2011).

Placed on the Dean's List at University for academic achievement (1994). Highest achievement in the subject Dental Materials. Medal from 3M and the Radiology Association of South Africa for highest achievement in the subject Dental Radiology and Imaging. Medal from The Periodontal Association of South Africa for highest achievement in the subject Periodontology. Highest achievement for Oral Medicine. Highest achievement in Oral Pathology. Received the DASA (Dental Ass. of South Africa) Gold Medal for highest achieving dental student across the 5 1/2 years of the Degree. Passed the subject, Clinical Dentistry with distinction in final year.