Dentistry/Bone Loss

Dr. Tieg, I have lost a lot of my ridge on the mandible, and especially right in the center, where my lower front tooth was. My dentist call's it the mental nerve branch. I have nerve sensitivity and I use sensitive tooth paste and Act rinse also. Since I don't need implants and my lower partial fits great. What can I do about the annoying nerve area? What kind of dentist would do a gum graft in that area, and would it last and would my partial still fit the same after? I just don't like that feeling there I have from day to day. Thanks

Donald - there are a couple of procedures to reduce strain on that nerve.  Sometimes the nerve is moved and other times they try to shelter it.  My suggestion is that you have a board certified oral and maxillofacial surgeon evaluate it.  A direct exam is the best ways to be sure of the best approach.

So ask your dentist to refer you to one or you find one listed in the phone book.  If for some reason you are unable to find one, get back to me and let me know the city and state you live in and I will send you a list of doctors.

Joel S. Teig, DMD, Diplomate ABOMS, retired

I am a board certified oral and maxillofacial surgeon and I am available to answer questions related to tooth extractions, implant insertion, facial recontruction, facial and oral tumor removal, TMJ dysfunction and various successful treatments, including surgery if all else fails, and occlusal discrepancy requiring orthognathic or jaw surgery.

Board Certified Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeon practicine for over 20 years. Assistant Clincal Professor and State University School of Dentistry.

American Dental Association, American Association of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeons, American Board of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeons

BA -University of Connecticut DMD - University of Pennsylvania School of Dental Medicine

National Honor Society (OKU), Philadelphia County Dental Society, Mosby Book Award, Oral Surgery Honors, Summa Cum Laude