I have been wearing clear braces for 3 weeks & so far 11 brackets have come loose. I am Epileptic and have been on Tegretol CR for more than 30 years & Apo- Clonazepam for 10 years. Plus at least 10 other medications since age 6 years.

No one seems to know why the brackets are coming off and I was wondering if my medications could have any effect on the bonding agent .

I await your responds, thank you.

Medicine should not affect the bond strength of the composite and adhesive.
Other factors like location of the brackets/occlusion, type of bonding agent and whether the brackets were placed in moisture free environment would affect the bond strength.

John Kong, DDS,

I am a board-certified periodontist and an expert on dental implants. I am currently in private practice at Better Living through Dentistry. I can answer questions related to the treatment of periodontitis (gum disease), dental implants, sinus lifts, bone grafts and gum grafts.

My practice focuses in the field of periodontics and dental implants. I enjoy working with dental specialists to coordinate full mouth reconstructions and cosmetic dentistry.

American Academy of Periodontology, American Board of Periodontics, American Dental Association, New York State Dental Association, Queens County Dental Association

BA - Wesleyan University, DDS - SUNY Stony Brook School of Dental Medicine, Certificate in Periodontics - University of Medicine and Dentistry of New Jersey