Dentistry/Bridge work sealant

I had a bridge replaced a year a go and a month after it was put on, I could feel it was loose (clicking and movement as I pressed my tongue against it).  I kept getting brushed off by the dentist that it was fine.  A year later, I have the most profound taste and smell coming out at one abutment tooth and the other one is still loose.  I have excellent oral hygiene and take care of my bridge but the snell and taste has increased to incredible levels.  When I push up on one tooth, the smell and taste permeates to strong levels.  Others can smell it too and my mouth feels full of metal type chemical taste.  My dentist insists it's fine but I know the difference and the bridge mobility is loose, but the dentist says he sees no bubbles and the x-rays look fine.  My gum line has receded to the point that I can water flows from the gum line and bridge (front teeth).  i have some inflammation at one abutment tooth and I can feel pain starting (he says use salt water rinses).  How do I know what the sealant is and if it's safe?  Is it bacteria from a leak and what should I do?  I have a bad feeling it has to come off and replaced but do I need more gums because the recession and lack of bone now (which by the way, I have very little bone where the missing teeth are).  I will see a specialist, but my question is, could this be dangerous to my body from a sealant or bacteria?  Why is the bridge loose so soon after being put on and why is the smell and taste all consuming?  Thank you for your time.

Dear Terry:
I am so so sorry to hear that you are having problems with your new dental work so early in the game.
No, your general health is not in danger, although, there could be some health implications if you are immunocompromised.  
Nevertheless, this problem should be addressed immediately, and should have been addressed as soon as it surfaced.  If you have a bad odor and taste, something is definitely wrong and one, or both teeth are leaking.  
This is exactly why implant restorations are preferable to tooth-borne bridges.  Teeth move ever so slightly, and, if connected with a bridge, they leak over time.  The problem is that the bridge will stay put, yet the decay will progress under the abutment teeth.
You MUST go and see your dentist, or go and see a Prosthodontist, who is the expert in this area.  
Unfortunately, the problems are just beginning.   I am sorry.
Best of luck,
Dr. Zev Kaufman

Zev Kaufman, D.D.S.

I can answer any question from simple routine dentistry to very complex dentistry with emphasis on reconstructive, cosmetic, and implant dentistry. My expertise is in co-ordination of very complex treatment plans with other dental specialists or as a one-man-team, since I have extensive training in Prosthodontics, Surgical Implantology, and orthodontics.

Over a decade in private practice of Surgical Implantology and Prosthodontics. Founder and owner of Prosthodontics & Implant Surgery of Manhattan, PC. Clinical Assistant Professor at the Post-Graduate Department of Periodontics & Implant Dentistry at New York University College of Dentistry. Lecture weekly since 1999 on advanced Implant Prosthodontics at New York University College of Dentistry Post-Graduate Program in Periodontics & Implant Dentistry. Former clinical assistant professor of Dental Radiology at the NYU College of Dentistry. Former clinical and lecture faculty at Lincoln Hospital, Dental residency program. Former clinical and lecture faculty at St. Barnabas Hospital (Bronx, NY) dental residency program. Lecture nationally on Prosthodontics and Implant Dentistry.

Memeber of the American College of Prosthodontics. Memeber of the Acacdemy of Osseointegration. Member or the Omikron Kappa Upsilon (OKU) Honors Dental Society. Member of the American Dental Education Association.

Graduated with Honors from New York University College of Dentistry. Post-Graduate training and certificate in the specialty of Prosthodontics. Post-Graduate training and ceritificate in Surgical and Prosthetic Implant Dentistry. Honors-program in Comprehensive and Applied Practice Management. Honors-program in Orthodontics.

NYU Cervice award to the community. OKU honor society. National Dean's List. National Who's Who.