Dentistry/Dental Questions

Question
Hello Dr. Kaufman,

You seem like a very knowledgeable dentist and I would like to ask you a few questions if that is okay. First I will give you a little bit of a background. I am a 23 year old female. Right now I have all of my natural teeth. I have had 3 fillings so far and I haven't had a cavity in about 10 years. I get my teeth cleaned and checked every 6 months. I make sure to not eat a lot of sweets and I brush 2 to 3 times a day for 2 to 3 minutes. I also make sure I floss in between meals when I can. I have become a bit paranoid and obsessed with my teeth ever since my mother had almost all her back teeth taken out. When she was growing up her family was very poor and couldn't afford to buy dental hygiene products. I do not want that to happen to me, but I guess sometimes its inevitable.

Anyways I apologize for rambling. My first question is about fissure sealants. I recently went to my dentist for a cleaning and he noticed a small pin sized hole in one of my molars. It was almost microscopic and there was no decay present. He decided to seal it off. He also sealed off 3 more bottom molars that he said had staining in them. I totally regret getting them after doing some research. I have read that sealants leak and create decay which is sometimes left undetected. I am also detecting some staining around the margins of the sealants and I can't get them off no matter how much I brush. My question is, is it possible to remove the sealants? He used a thick filled resin sealant and packed it in with his fingers. I'm hoping it could be removed with minimal damage to the enamel underneath.

Last question is about a cracked molar. I was eating a chicken wing about 1 month ago and accidentally bit down on a small piece of bone. I felt a sharp pain, but it was gone in about 1 second. There was no blood and no swelling, but everytime I chew on something with a chewy texture it doesn't feel right. I also sometimes feel some mild pain when I chew a certain way. I am pretty sure that I cracked it because I can see it when I take a picture of the molar with my camera phone. It seems to be an incomplete crack running horizontally on the edge of the tooth. My question is what are my options regarding treatment of an incomplete crack in my molar? Do I have to get a crown or could I just get it filled or get an onlay?

I apologize for making this question so long! I saw that your office is located in the New York City area. I live in NJ and I was wondering how much it would cost for a consultation? Thanks!

Answer
Dear Jaime:
I am very happy that you are taking care of your teeth and your your mouth properly.  However, there is no reason to be a paranoid neurotic.  You WILL NOT end up like your mother.
As to your questions:
Sealants are an excellent method to stave off cavities in young individuals since their oral hygiene is shy of ideal.  In adults they are not necessary.
If you have them and they are intact, there is no reason to remove them, even though they can easily be removed by a skilled clinician without damaging your teeth.
The staining is also not a problem.  It can readily be removed by a dentist and/or a hygienist with the proper equipment.
Your cracked tooth is a different issue.  It actually requires a careful diagnosis and a proper treatment plan.  You have to see a dentist, an more importantly, you have to see a dentist whom you TRUST!

To that, I would love to see you in my office, and we can definitely address and fix your concerns.  Your mouth should be a source of joy and pride to you.
Please call my staff and they will gladly arrange for an appointment for you.  You do not need to even see me for a consult.  Just schedule an appointment with my hygienist an she will fix those stained sealant too!
Best wishes,
Dr. Zev Kaufman

Dentistry

Zev Kaufman, D.D.S.