Hi there!

I  hoping you can help me or guide me in the right direction...

About a year ago I had a crown put on my tooth. The dentist took that time told me that I did not need a root canal. For the last month or so I've been having pain in that tooth. I went to another dentist (i moved, so didn't return to same one) and they told me that there was darkening around the root and I needed a root canal. I went in today as nervous as could be. The endodontist was very short with me, had no empathy for my anxiety, started the root canal and about 45 minutes in said that one of the canals was calcified and he could not find it. He said he was going to close it up and that I needed to have the tooth pulled.

I came home in tears. I don't want to lose my tooth and am wondering if there are any other options besides extraction at this point.... Do you have any suggestions?

Thank you in advance for any help you can provide!

Hi Emily,

I am sorry to hear about this.
Here is what I would do;

1. Find a new endodontist.
2. Make sure that he/she utilizes a Cone Beam Imaging system. This shows a true 3D image of the tooth. This will allow the endodotnist to see if/where the canal is. Hopefully, then the root canal can be completed.
3. If the canal can not be located, they can still do an apicoectomy. This removes the infected root of the tooth, but leaves the rest of the tooth intact.

I wouldn't give up hope just yet!!

Good luck!

Benjamin Schwartz, DDS FAGD

I can answer a range of questions in dentistry, ranging from cosmetic dentistry, fillings, root canals, and comprehensive treatment. Specifically, my fields of interest are in CEREC technology, Invisalign (Invisable braces), and Endodontics (root canals).

Full time practicing dentist in New York City, treating all phases of adult dental needs. Specific focus on Invisalign cases, Endodontic (root canal) treatment, and CEREC single visit restorations.

Schwartz Benjamin, Boczko Fae, McKeon S. Oral Care For The Elderly. Perspectives in Gerontology December 2006

New York University College of Dentistry - D.D.S.
Woodhull Medical Center, 1 year post-graduate residency program - GPR