Dentistry/Hit my tooth with glass cup

Hi! I accidentally hit my upper front tooth with glass cup and felt a small amount of fine powderlike (a really small amount) hard substance coming off the tip of my tooth. No felt fractures, or pain afterwards and the only thing that feeling changed is that the tip of the tooth feels rougher/not as smooth as before when feeling it with my tongue. So how bad of a damage is this and can you describe the best case scenario and worst case scenario that could happen and do I have to book up an appoitment with a dentist and what do you recommend? The only thing I now (40 minutes from the accident) feel is that the tip of my tooth feels more rough to my tongue. And how will a dentist treat this provided treatment is necessary?

Sorry for the delay!

You probably chipped a small piece of the enamel. Your dentist can smooth it out, since when it is sharp it is more prone to fracturing again. If it esthetically bothers you, a bonding can be placed.
The main thing is that once chipped, it can break again. So please be careful on this tooth and be gentle when eating crunchy foods!

Good luck.

Benjamin Schwartz, DDS FAGD

I can answer a range of questions in dentistry, ranging from cosmetic dentistry, fillings, root canals, and comprehensive treatment. Specifically, my fields of interest are in CEREC technology, Invisalign (Invisable braces), and Endodontics (root canals).

Full time practicing dentist in New York City, treating all phases of adult dental needs. Specific focus on Invisalign cases, Endodontic (root canal) treatment, and CEREC single visit restorations.

Schwartz Benjamin, Boczko Fae, McKeon S. Oral Care For The Elderly. Perspectives in Gerontology December 2006

New York University College of Dentistry - D.D.S.
Woodhull Medical Center, 1 year post-graduate residency program - GPR