Dentistry/Mini implants to replace missing molars.

Question
Dear Dr. Kong,

Thank you in advance for answering my question!

I am 30 years old and I lost one of my large rear molars due to an accident. I asked my dentist about the possibility of an implant and he has informed that he could use a mini implant(s) to replace the missing molar as this is a new and exciting technology which costs half the price of traditional implants and is less invasive.

I was wondering what your thoughts are on his recommendation as some dental websites suggest mini implants have a high failure rate for molars and are only appropriate for incisors while other dentists say they have abandoned the 'old' implants in favor of only using mini implants. I feel so confused and uncertain.

Thank you!

Answer
Hi Sarah,

I am not a fan of mini-implants especially for replacement of 'back' teeth if I can place a 'traditional' dental implant.  I feel mini-implants are too thin to adequately handle the higher masticating force a molar would require.  This is in addition to the technical difficulty in fabricating a proper hygienic molar tooth on top of a very narrow platform of a mini-implant.
The only reason I would place a mini-implant for posterior teeth is if that's the only option left after exhausting all other options b/c having teeth is better than having none.  

You may want to seek out a local specialist in placement of dental implants (Periodontist or Oral Surgeon) for a second opinion.

-Dr.Kong
by John Kong

Dentistry

John Kong, DDS, www.betterlivingdentistry.com