3 days ago I went to the dentist b/c I was having tooth pain. They told me the crown I had on my tooth was defective and that they were going to replace it. They gave me two shots and it numbed me up like normal (I've had plenty of dental work done). She removed the crown and then started to drill the tooth b/c I had more decay. I instantly felt pain. So she gave me another shot... felt pain again... another shot.. still pain. The pain was only on certain spots of the tooth. She finally finished and they put on my temporary. The next day I was sore and I expected to be. This is the 3rd day after and my tooth is very sensitive and painful. it feels the same as it did when I went to the dentist for my pain. Is this normal and I should just wait it out?

It might happen but it's not normal. As far as the tooth not being numb there are a number of explanations and briefly you might have an extra nerve going to that tooth or it might be getting some innervation from an special branch of the main nerve.  That's not uncommon. To continue to feel pain like you are tells me that maybe this tooth is cracked or it's actually abscessed already and an abscess  might or might not have shown up on an x-ray.  I suggest you get back in soon and I mean like tomorrow and have it checked, maybe the tooth needs to be removed or possibly a root canal needs to be started. Don't put up with this level of pain there are things we can do to help.

Dr. Karmen

Thomas Karmen

All general dentistry questions, especially those related to fixed prosthetics. Endodontics, Periodontics, and implants, minor oral surgery I can't answer much about othodontics nor advanced treatment of carcinoma nor deep tissue surgery nor osseous surgery such as jaw reduction or advancement.

DDS In general practice and consulting with having done some lecturing for local dental societies.

ADA and Florida Dental Association and Iowa Dental association

DDS degree