Dentistry/restorations post root canal

A temp filling was left prct by endodontist and then we went to get the permanent filling in a few weeks later by a general dentist.
Is the temp and cotton to be removed before the general dentist puts permanent restoration in? Can leaving the temp and cotton cause seepage if it wasn't removed?

Hi Lisa,

Normally, the temporary and cotton is removed and a cement base is placed and then the permanent filling. There may be special cases where that would not be done, but it would be very rare.

Leakage is a potential problem, but even if the temporary is left, as long as it is not exposed in any way to saliva, then there would be no way the temporary could start leaking.

Hope this helps.

Gary Backlund DMD, MSD

Gary Backlund, DMD, MSD

I am an Endodontist ( root canal specialist ) and can answer questions about root canals and their treatment. I cannot diagnose or treat online, but can answer general questions. I have been a specialist for 25 years and am Past President of the Washington State Association of Endodontists.

25 years practicing as a specialist

American Association of Endodonists, Past President Washington State Association of Endodontists.