You are here:

Dentistry/Root canal etc


QUESTION: Dr Teig, I had a root canal done 4 years ago,by regular dentist. Had extra root he got out but he broke puck and could not get out. I went to Endidontists a d he tried to go in from the top but could not get. So I went back 3 rd time and cut along the gums and went under tooth to get. The tooth  and jaw never  felt right.  Had X-rays after and he said as fine. I took several rounds of antibiotics anyway.  Six weeks later had face surgery and and jaw was numb so I did not realize the pain I as still in untill a year later. It's been 4 years and it hurts, along with side of head. I think I have a bone infection from root canal, osteomyelitis and also stay sore  from  face lift surgery with sores and developed  severe contact skin allergies to most metals, used in everything.  My question, is there's board  certified  maxiillofacial surgeon hat you could recommend to me. I an in fragile state with allergies and sensitivities.  I would appreciate any help. I live in Mississippi, but will travel for Avery good doctor. Thank you

ANSWER: Lisa -  it is difficult for me to tell you exactly what you need, but seeing a board certified oral and maxillofacial surgeon in Mississippi is a good idea.  Fortunately, there is a wonderful dental school there with a very good board certified oral and maxillofacial surgeon as chairman.  I am going to recommend that you see Dr. Ron Caloss in Jackson at the University of Mississippi.  Call (601) 984-6090 - ask to be examined by Dr. Caloss.   I wish you well and hope they can help you.  

---------- FOLLOW-UP ----------

QUESTION: Dr Teig, I forgot to mention I have allergies to metals, cobalt, chromium, and titanium. I have 6 crowns that has these metals, and I believe I became allergic to the cement calibra that has  chrominum in it even I got 4 front crowns replaced 9 years ago, when they bled around the gum for along time after.I do t know what Materials that can be replaced. I keep rashes  due to delayed skin allergies, and pain, I don't know if it is from the metals in teeth I'm allergic to. I don't know who to turn to for help. Most people in Mississippi don't understand or can help. Any suggestions. Much appreciated, even if I have to travel I am willing, for a knowledgable dentists.. Thank you

Lisa - Again, seeing the doctor at the University of Mississippi.  As far as metals go, gold in an inert metal that an allergic reaction to is impossible.  For that reason, a gold crown or porcelain over a gold crown.

Work with the doctor I suggested and he can refer you to general dentists who are skilled and knowledgeable about you allergic problems.


All Answers

Answers by Expert:

Ask Experts


Joel S. Teig, DMD, Diplomate ABOMS, retired


I am a board certified oral and maxillofacial surgeon and I am available to answer questions related to tooth extractions, implant insertion, facial recontruction, facial and oral tumor removal, TMJ dysfunction and various successful treatments, including surgery if all else fails, and occlusal discrepancy requiring orthognathic or jaw surgery.


Board Certified Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeon practicine for over 20 years. Assistant Clincal Professor and State University School of Dentistry.

American Dental Association, American Association of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeons, American Board of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeons

BA -University of Connecticut DMD - University of Pennsylvania School of Dental Medicine

Awards and Honors
National Honor Society (OKU), Philadelphia County Dental Society, Mosby Book Award, Oral Surgery Honors, Summa Cum Laude

©2017 All rights reserved.