Dentistry/Root Resorption

My 12 year old daughter had x-rays taken today and it was discovered her
#10 adult incisor is the victim of root resorption due to pressure from the tooth behind it. She got her phase one braces off almost a year ago and up to that point was seeing a dentist twice a year. Nothing was ever said about the possibility of root resorption. I know this didn't happen over night and, according to many web sites on the subject, this should take about 3 years to occur.  Shouldn't this have been caught sooner since we had been seeing both an orthodontist as well as a dentist, both of which love to take x-rays?

Dear Paul,

You should have a discussion with your orthodontist.  Unfortunately, there are risks to every dental procedure even if it's done with 100% precision and in orthodontics, root resorption is one of them.  That said, if the root resorption is evident in the orthodontist's follow-up panoramic images, the treatment should have been modified accordingly to minimize further complications.

John Kong, DDS,

I am a board-certified periodontist and an expert on dental implants. I am currently in private practice at Better Living through Dentistry. I can answer questions related to the treatment of periodontitis (gum disease), dental implants, sinus lifts, bone grafts and gum grafts.

My practice focuses in the field of periodontics and dental implants. I enjoy working with dental specialists to coordinate full mouth reconstructions and cosmetic dentistry.

American Academy of Periodontology, American Board of Periodontics, American Dental Association, New York State Dental Association, Queens County Dental Association

BA - Wesleyan University, DDS - SUNY Stony Brook School of Dental Medicine, Certificate in Periodontics - University of Medicine and Dentistry of New Jersey