Dentistry/Teeth Whitening for Sensitive Teeth

Question
Hello,

For many years, I've had very sensitive teeth when it come to cold and very sweet foods. My dentist told me that my gums were receding, though I rarely ever had bleeding or swelling in my gums.

I have been to the dentist recently, and he says everything looks healthy. However, whenever I try to whiten my teeth, whether it be with Listerine Whitening, or a homemade rinse of hydrogen peroxide, it feels like knives are stabbing into the roots of my teeth while I'm swishing. It's an excruciating pain.

My questions are, is this something that can be treated/cured? To have such sensitivity is very alarming. And, on a cosmetic level, are there any teeth whitening procedures available that are safe for sensitive teeth/gums? Thanks!

Answer
Hi Ashley and thanks for your question.

Your dilemma is not uncommon and shared by many patients during the course of their life.  Gum recession has a multitude reasons for developing, from periodontal disease to localized infection to ageing and incorrect brushing habits, but the overwhelming symptom in common is an increase in tooth sensitivity due to the exposure of the very sensitive root neck of the tooth.  This area is usually covered by the gum tissue which protects the area which doesn't have any enamel protecting it.  Depending on the extent of the recession and the size of the exposed neck, it is possible to protect the tooth and seal off this area with a white filling material such as composite or glass-ionomer, but one does need a certain degree of tooth surface to bond onto to ensure longevity.

Sadly, as most of the good whitening products contain an acid-based ingredient to etch the tooth during whitening, these agents would increase tooth sensitivity - but this effect does vary from person to person and product to product.  You might get more effective whitening with fewer symptoms from in-chair whitening procedures done by your dentist under controlled conditions rather than a general, over the counter one.

The other thing I can advise you to consider, is the daily use of a fluoride mouth wash, a high fluoride containing toothpaste such as Elmex or a toothpaste containing triclosan, such as Sensodyne.  Triclosan takes about 2-3 weeks to reduce symptoms so don't expect immediate relief, but the effects are worthwhile giving it a try. The higher fluoride content of Elmex hardens up any sensitive or newly exposed dentine and reduces its reaction to temperature changes - with the added benefit of preventing decay at the same time.

I hope this helps and wish you all the very best in resolving this problem, take care.

Kind regards
Dr Craig Peck

Dentistry

Dr Craig W Peck ( B.Med.Sc., B.Ch.D., Clin. Botox, Cosmet. Derm.)