Dentistry/temp filling

Is it imperative to remove ALL temp filling and cotton in order to place a permanent filling post root canal?
Does leaving cotton behind cause bacteria?

Hello Lisa,

I would never leave cotton in a tooth under any circumstances. I use it only to medicate a tooth.  On occasion I might leave some of a medicated filling what we term IRM under a restoration but that is on a vital tooth to protect it from thermal insult.  So to answer your question I think all cotton should be removed before a final restoration is placed.  Thanks for a good question.  Leaving the cotton behind doesn't cause bacteria but if there is bacteria present it might make a good place for it to grow.

Yes Lisa remove all temporary filling material

Dr. Karmen  

Thomas Karmen

All general dentistry questions, especially those related to fixed prosthetics. Endodontics, Periodontics, and implants, minor oral surgery I can't answer much about othodontics nor advanced treatment of carcinoma nor deep tissue surgery nor osseous surgery such as jaw reduction or advancement.

DDS In general practice and consulting with having done some lecturing for local dental societies.

ADA and Florida Dental Association and Iowa Dental association

DDS degree