Dentistry/TMJ

Question
Good morning,Doctor Joel,S.Teig!

It happenned during my last dentist appointment. When my dentist was making impressions for a crown,she asked me to close my mouth very hard for a few minutes. When I pressed my teeth together very  hard,( i think that I overdid it)and then opened my mouth,I felt some strange pain in  the right side of my jaw and throat where I have a gland , and it was painful to open it back.After that I have been feeling pain for 3 weeks now.Sometimes it is o'k,but sometimes  it is very painful in my right jaw, throat, and ear when I moving my mouth:chew, swallow ,or just  open it for brushing teeth.I noticed that In the morning, it  is more painful than in the evening.I went to TMJ doctor he did a lot of different diagnostics,x-rays,and then he said that he needs to do more diagnostics .He made impressions for mouth exacerbation,explained that I need to change them and have special treatments throughout my lifetime, and then send me to do a cat scan.

Please,Doctor Joel,S.Teig,I would like to hear your oppinion.

Respectively,
Violeta

Answer
Violeta - Of course, without examining you I cannot be sure, but from your description on how the problem began, it sounds like you are suffering from spasms of the jaw muscles.  I believe in a simple approach to try to reverse the spasms.  My suggestion you need to try two simple treatments on you own.

1) Immediately begin a regimen of warm salt water rinses deep on the back sides of your mouth for about 4-5 minutes, 4-5 times a day.  

2) Use two warm moist wash cloths that is repeatedly being kept warm and moist by dipping it in warm water.  Place each from the temple (right and left at the same time)region to the bottom of your jaw on both sides.  Do this for about 5 minutes, 4-5 times a day.

I know it sounds like a lot of work, but if you do this, you should feel an improvement within a week.  What the dentist proposes seems excessive, since this recently began.  Try the two things I suggested and get back to me within a week and let me know if you see an improvement.

Dentistry

Joel S. Teig, DMD, Diplomate ABOMS, retired