Dentistry/crowns and eating

Hi, when we have a temporary crown on after a root canal but before the permanent crown, can we eat anything we want? Can we eat citrus stuff such as oranges, sweets, citrus drinks, etc...anything we want? And also, since it's a crown now, will decay be easier to develop on the gum line with a crown as opposed to teeth without crowns? Thanks!

Kelly -  As long as the temporary crown was made properly, you should be able to eat anything except something very sticky or very hard.  If the crown was made properly, decay should not happen, as long as you brush the area twice a day and floss at least once a day.  That method is what should be done normally for everyone, but in this situation it is important to remove any bacteria that might be accumulating in the area.

So you should be doing the above for all your teeth to decrease the chance of decay and periodontal disease, both with the temporary crown and the rest of your teeth.

Joel S. Teig, DMD, Diplomate ABOMS, retired

I am a board certified oral and maxillofacial surgeon and I am available to answer questions related to tooth extractions, implant insertion, facial recontruction, facial and oral tumor removal, TMJ dysfunction and various successful treatments, including surgery if all else fails, and occlusal discrepancy requiring orthognathic or jaw surgery.

Board Certified Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeon practicine for over 20 years. Assistant Clincal Professor and State University School of Dentistry.

American Dental Association, American Association of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeons, American Board of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeons

BA -University of Connecticut DMD - University of Pennsylvania School of Dental Medicine

National Honor Society (OKU), Philadelphia County Dental Society, Mosby Book Award, Oral Surgery Honors, Summa Cum Laude