Dentistry/To what degree is it 'wise' to drill pits and fissures of molars out of cosmetic concerns only?

Question
QUESTION: Dear dr. Peck,

Very much so I would like my dentist to drill some of my molars as to remove the black/brown discoloration of some pits and fissures.
She advised me not to as it would not be preferable: once the 'cycle' of restoration has started there is no stopping it, the composite resin would have to be replaced every so many years and with every cycle some more dental material would have to be removed. Currently carious lesions have not been found so she best want to leave my teeth the way they are.

As I see it: my main concern is having teeth that I think are as beautiful as I want them to be, I can't honestly get myself to adhere to her advice. I just don't like the staining at all as I see it the staining indicates plaque is easily retained at the site of staining, so drilling and restoring that area would have as an advantage - apart from getting me the cosmetically desired result - there is less chance of carious lesions developing as plaque cannot easily be retained at the site any longer.

Do I understand this correctly, there is the advantage of easier cleaning of the molars and less chance of carious lesions when molars without present carious lesions but with staining are drilled slightly and restored?

Generally with slight drilling of the molars to remove staining, what restorative procedure is generally followed: sealing the molars or adhering composite resin?

Is it possible to use ceramics to restore a site that is very small only and will using ceramics generally lead to needing less 'replacement cycles' at the site?

How 'wise' would it be out of cosmetical concern only to drill the molars to remove staining and restore them either with composite resin, ceramics or sealing them?

Thank you so much for taking the time to review my concerns.

ANSWER: Dear Veronica, thanks for your question.

Your dentist is correct - as soon as a tooth is drilled, it immediately becomes weakened, unless there is a justifiable reason to do so, such as fracture or decay. The day and age we are currently focuses more on minimally invasive and conservative approaches, which has been shown to reduce long term problems later. What can be done, is that the fissure and pits could be thoroughly cleaned with pumice and water and the affected areas could be covered with a flowable fissure sealant, but as nothing lasts forever, these would need to be redone every few years as they wear down, chip or crack. As for drilling and replacing with bonded composite restoration without any signs or symptoms of active decay or other pathology, I would advise you against this because of the potential problems that could occur post-operatively, such as temperature sensitivity, altered bite and secondary decay later on. It is, of course, your body and you have full right to do with it as you choose, and could probably find a dentist who would oblige your request. As far as I'm concerned, that is the dentist that everyone should avoid as they do not have the best interest of their patient at heart. I hope this helps and wish you all the very further, take care.

Dr Craig Peck

QUESTION: Thank you very much for your detailed answer!

It has not been well researched what the chance is of decay later developing after a flowable fissure sealant has been placed - or so I thought - can decay be sealed in? I thought there is also the issue of detectability of secondary decay because the sealant obscures the meticulous visual inspection for decay.

I hope you can shed some light on these issues.

Answer
Hi Veronica and thanks for your follow up question.

Tooth decay can only develop under conditions when bacterial enzymes act on dietary food stuffs to reduce the local pH and cause demineralization of the tooth structure due to acid production. In theory, if these 2 elements are removed and the tooth is sealed off, decay cannot develop - which is the philosophy behind fissure sealants. So, if no decay is present in the fissures or pits and they are sealed off, no decay should develop. In reality, however, I have experienced decay under fissure sealants, but this more related to old and long standing sealants or ones which have fractured or been partially lost due to wear. The principle of treatment should always be applied to any treatment - the benefit of doing the procedure must out-weigh the risk of leaving the situation as is, untreated, taking into account the potential side-effects and problems related to the procedure. Because fissure sealants are minimally invasive, preventative treatments, they can be removed relatively easily with minimal damage to the tooth - if any at all - if pathology is suspected and the tooth further examined, and of course, there is the benefit of diagnosis with the aid of X-rays. I hope this helps and wholeheartedly apologize if my previous answer in any way offended you - that was certainly not my intention.

Kind regards
Dr Craig Peck

Dentistry

Dr Craig W Peck ( B.Med.Sc., B.Ch.D., Clin. Botox, Cosmet. Derm.)