Dentistry/dental

Question
I had an operation 4 days ago to remove a cyst from my front four upper teeth.  I have developed a lump on my hard palate behind my top two front teeth about the size of a pea.  I am taking antibiotics and pain killers but I am worried and wonder the best way to reduce the swelling.

Answer
Lorraine - In the location you describe, a lump on the hard palate could be from the teeth, but it could also be a cyst from a nerve and glandular duct in the bone.  My suggestion is that you have that area properly evaluated.  You should make an appointment with a board certified oral and maxillofacial surgeon.  It could be from the teeth, but if it is from a cyst, most general dentists are not knowledgeable enough to diagnose or discover it.  So do yourself a favor and make an appointment with a board certified oral and maxillofacial surgeon.  If for some reason you are unable to find one, get back to me, tell me where you live and I will send you names of surgeons near you.

Dentistry

Joel S. Teig, DMD, Diplomate ABOMS, retired