I had an operation 4 days ago to remove a cyst from my front four upper teeth.  I have developed a lump on my hard palate behind my top two front teeth about the size of a pea.  I am taking antibiotics and pain killers but I am worried and wonder the best way to reduce the swelling.

Lorraine - In the location you describe, a lump on the hard palate could be from the teeth, but it could also be a cyst from a nerve and glandular duct in the bone.  My suggestion is that you have that area properly evaluated.  You should make an appointment with a board certified oral and maxillofacial surgeon.  It could be from the teeth, but if it is from a cyst, most general dentists are not knowledgeable enough to diagnose or discover it.  So do yourself a favor and make an appointment with a board certified oral and maxillofacial surgeon.  If for some reason you are unable to find one, get back to me, tell me where you live and I will send you names of surgeons near you.

Joel S. Teig, DMD, Diplomate ABOMS, retired

I am a board certified oral and maxillofacial surgeon and I am available to answer questions related to tooth extractions, implant insertion, facial recontruction, facial and oral tumor removal, TMJ dysfunction and various successful treatments, including surgery if all else fails, and occlusal discrepancy requiring orthognathic or jaw surgery.

Board Certified Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeon practicine for over 20 years. Assistant Clincal Professor and State University School of Dentistry.

American Dental Association, American Association of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeons, American Board of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeons

BA -University of Connecticut DMD - University of Pennsylvania School of Dental Medicine

National Honor Society (OKU), Philadelphia County Dental Society, Mosby Book Award, Oral Surgery Honors, Summa Cum Laude