Dentistry/infection

Question
I went to dentist for sore tooth. I have infections so my dentist gave me amoxicillian 500 mg 3 times day and refered me to an oral surgeon due to the poor shape of the teeth. I am 3/4done meds and face is swollen like I swallowed a golf ball...very sore...im not sure why its getting worse instead of better. (I have forgotten to take a few pills)

Answer
Paula -  Of course you know that without examining you I cannot be sure, but it sounds like you have an infection trapped in the tissues and unable to drain.  The antibiotics can help to prevent a spread, but the present infection needs to drain.  The surgeon might be able to drain the infection, but immediately you need to help a natural drainage of the infection.  Immediately begin a strict regimen of warm salt water rinses.  Do it 4-5 times a day minimum for about 5 minutes. Have the warm water in the area of the swelling.  This should help to allow a natural drainage, but be sure to contact the surgeon tomorrow to get it drained.

If you have additional questions, feel free to contact me again.

Dentistry

Joel S. Teig, DMD, Diplomate ABOMS, retired