Dentistry/piarrhea

Question
im not sure if i am spelling it correctly. piorrhea? pyarhea? hopefully you know what im talking about.

it is genetic i think. all of my immediate family on my dads side has it!! my dad, grandad, all 3 of my aunts and my 2 oldest cousins are losing teeth, getting permanent dentures, partial dentures, etc etc.

im only 26 and scared of getting it. are there tests i can do now, is there anything i can do to prevent it?

Answer
KJ - Pyorrhea is advanced periodontal (gum disease).  It involves the growth of bacteria under the gum and the loss of bone surrounding the teeth.  Pyorrhea is a condition that is due to an overgrowth of bacteria.  It is important that such people be very attentive in cleaning their teeth and gums properly.  That involves brushing the teeth after every meal with a toothpaste.  In addition, dental floss should be used in the morning after breakfast and at night before bedtime.  That floss is gently used to remove bacteria.  Finally, in the morning after breakfast, after brushing and flossing and at night before bed, to rinse with an antibacterial mouth rinse, such Listerine.  Do the rinse for a full 30 seconds and nothing to eat, drink or rinse for a minimum of one hour.  Finally, twice a year you need to see a dentist for a prophy cleaning.  

So do the above and the pyorrhea should get better.  If the bacteria has already begun to eat away at the bone, the dentist may need to do a procedure called a scaling to clean out bacteria trapped under the gums.

If you have additional questions, feel free to contact me again.

Dentistry

Joel S. Teig, DMD, Diplomate ABOMS, retired