Dentistry/Post-Extraction numbness

Hi. I've had teeth extracted before. Yesterday afternoon I had my eye teeth removed to prevent future oral complications. It's been almost 24 hours and the roof of my mouth is still numb. The only thing I can feel is a very slight throbbing. I was wondering if this is normal for the extraction of eye teeth?

Thank you very much for your time, and I hope you ave a great day!

hello Erica and thank you very much for your good question. It's Not really normal to have continual numbness for that long a time however it's not impossible. ? any kind of nerve damagecould have caused the problem. Most likely it  will regenerate if there was any damage there and it will continue to feel better and better. At this stage I wouldn't worry too much about it if it continues for a week and I would have it checked again but I think it will probably be ok. The roof of the mouth  has many nerve endings and it doesn't take much of an injury in order to cause a little bit of a problem. But don't worry I'm sure if it will probably be fine.

Dr. Karmen

Thomas Karmen

All general dentistry questions, especially those related to fixed prosthetics. Endodontics, Periodontics, and implants, minor oral surgery I can't answer much about othodontics nor advanced treatment of carcinoma nor deep tissue surgery nor osseous surgery such as jaw reduction or advancement.

DDS In general practice and consulting with having done some lecturing for local dental societies.

ADA and Florida Dental Association and Iowa Dental association

DDS degree