Dentistry/Root canal/Infection

Good afternoon,
About 3 weeks ago, I noticed significant pain in the lower tooth/jaw area.  After about 2 weeks of worsening pain, I relented and went to the Dentist.  Prognosis, #24 was severely infected and need a root canal and crown.  BEFORE prescribing any antibiotics, the root canal was preformed and when it was time to do the crown, they just filled it.  Now, 1 1/2 almost 2 weeks later, I have most of the same issues, swelling, pain, redness of gums, low grade fever.  I guess my question is.. what to do now?  Request more antibiotics?  Dentist told me he may have to reopen that tooth or I would need to see my GP... I, confused... thank you!

hi dawn,
its very sad that you are experiencing one of the most perplexing questions being answered by root canal specialists all over the world.
increasing number of teeth treated with rct are now turning up for retreatments.
anyways that's another topic.
From whatever information you have provided me: my guess is that you should go to an endodontist and get it looked into. gp and others are not trained to manage such complications.
best wishes

dr mayank kaurani BDS, MDS

rootcanals, cosmetic dentistry, dental pain, cavities, tooth colored fillings, endodontic diagnosis, post & cores, ceramic veneers, composite fillings, dental whitening, bleaching etc. please remember: i cannot treat you online and neither can i touch your teeth or test their health! i can give you general suggestions and critically evaluate various treatments and offer my advice.

14 years of clinical experience. i am a professor in a postgraduate dental school, in the department of endodontics. my primary field of specialization is in endodontics and conservative dentistry. i am a consultant endodontist in private dental clinics and run my own clinic restricted to conservative dentistry & endodontics since 2006.

DENTAL SPA, JAIPUR (INDIA). Mahatma Gandhi Dental College, jaipur(india)

new york state dental journal journal of contemporary dental practise

BDS, MDS (conservative dentistry & endodontics)