Dr. Teig,

May I ask when it comes to all porcelain crowns and porcelain fused to metal crowns, each office uses a different lab to do so. Some charged a lot more than others. Is there a difference in quality when it comes to these crowns or are they all made the same? Some offices charge so much more, they said they have better quality. Another office charges less. I just wanted to know if there's a difference? And as far as which crown is stronger, which option is best between those two? How long do each of these crowns usually last for? Does one last more than the other? Thank you!

Kelly -  This is a difficult question to completely answer.  Yes there are different labs that charge different fees.  Yes there are some labs that do not produce as good a crown as others.  Some labs produce crowns that are stronger, because they use better materials.  Some make crowns that are not as good, because the people who make the crowns are not as good technically.  

As I said this is a difficult question to answer without truly knowing the history of any given lab and the dentist who prepares the tooth for the crown.  Some crowns last a lifetime and others fall apart within months, if it was not properly designed and made.

Sorry I can't be more specific, but each situation, each lab and each doctor is different and all have an affect on the crown's success.

Joel S. Teig, DMD, Diplomate ABOMS, retired

I am a board certified oral and maxillofacial surgeon and I am available to answer questions related to tooth extractions, implant insertion, facial recontruction, facial and oral tumor removal, TMJ dysfunction and various successful treatments, including surgery if all else fails, and occlusal discrepancy requiring orthognathic or jaw surgery.

Board Certified Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeon practicine for over 20 years. Assistant Clincal Professor and State University School of Dentistry.

American Dental Association, American Association of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeons, American Board of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeons

BA -University of Connecticut DMD - University of Pennsylvania School of Dental Medicine

National Honor Society (OKU), Philadelphia County Dental Society, Mosby Book Award, Oral Surgery Honors, Summa Cum Laude