Dentistry/Tanya

Question
Dr. Teig,

May I ask when it comes to all porcelain crowns and porcelain fused to metal crowns, each office uses a different lab to do so. Some charged a lot more than others. Is there a difference in quality when it comes to these crowns or are they all made the same? Some offices charge so much more, they said they have better quality. Another office charges less. I just wanted to know if there's a difference? And as far as which crown is stronger, which option is best between those two? How long do each of these crowns usually last for? Does one last more than the other? Thank you!

Answer
Kelly -  This is a difficult question to completely answer.  Yes there are different labs that charge different fees.  Yes there are some labs that do not produce as good a crown as others.  Some labs produce crowns that are stronger, because they use better materials.  Some make crowns that are not as good, because the people who make the crowns are not as good technically.  

As I said this is a difficult question to answer without truly knowing the history of any given lab and the dentist who prepares the tooth for the crown.  Some crowns last a lifetime and others fall apart within months, if it was not properly designed and made.

Sorry I can't be more specific, but each situation, each lab and each doctor is different and all have an affect on the crown's success.

Dentistry

Joel S. Teig, DMD, Diplomate ABOMS, retired