Dentistry/Tooth Discolouration from childhood

Question
Hello,

I have always been afraid of asking my family dentist regarding this situation because I have been with this practice since I have been born.

During a young age, my brother and I were play fighting and my two front tooth's were knocked out of my mouth too early. At that time, as my adult front tooth's were growing in there were cavities and other problems. My dentist had done a lot of cleaning and fixing till finally today, they're fine but a bit discolored (see below).

http://oi59.tinypic.com/10yhwgg.jpg

With regards to the above picture here, although the camera flash doesn't accurately depict what I will mean entirely, what can I do about the color imbalance? The yellow between tooth and gum I know is merely through better flossing and brushing, however do you see the imbalance of bright white and natural beige tooth color? I don't remember exactly what happened when I was younger but for years I have been embarrassingly battling this problem and I want to get rid of it. What are some suggestions as brushing clearly doesn't fix that imbalance of white discoloration.

Thanks.

Answer
Hi Bernard and thanks for your question.

The bright white areas on many of your teeth are due to fluorosis, a condition caused by the excess deposition of fluoride in the tooth structure during development. The overwhelming cause of this, is the ingestion of excessive amounts of toothpaste as a child and sadly, there is very little one can do to rectify the problem. You could consider external whitening procedure in order to lighten the natural tooth colour and in that way, reduce the color discrepancy between that and the brighter whiter areas. If it is a severe problem for you, you could discuss having porcelain veneers fitted with your dentist, but this does involve quite steep costs and these do not last forever. The good news, is that these whiter fluorotic lesion pose no risk for any future oral problems and in fact, due to the higher fluoride content, are probably the most resistant areas of your tooth against tooth decay.

With regards to the discoloration of your front teeth the problem really does not look that noticeable. I would suggest to you that your dentist test the vitality of these teeth to make sure that the nerve and blood supply is still viable. Teeth which have been knocked out and re-implanted do suffer the risk of losing their vitality due to severage of the nerve and blood vessels at the tip of the root. Sometimes, this is re-established naturally, but sometimes not and a non-vital or dead tooth would naturally discolor faster than your other teeth. If the teeth are still vital, then they can be individually bleached exteriorly or covered either with porcelain or composite veneers. If they are found to be non-vital or dead, then root canals should be done on them, that is if it hasn't been done already. In this case, these teeth could be bleached internally or considered for porcelain veneers as well.

Bu the way, your oral hygiene looks very good and isn't a contributor in anyway for your problem. The natural color and shade of teeth is greatly determine genetically and comes from the color of the underlying deeper dentine under the outer enamel. I hope this helps and wish you all the very best further, but discuss the problem openly with your dentist and get their professional opinion on the matter. Take care.

Kind regards
Dr Craig Peck

Dentistry

Dr Craig W Peck ( B.Med.Sc., B.Ch.D., Clin. Botox, Cosmet. Derm.)