Dentistry/Tooth pain

Question
Hello,

I went to the dentist the other day for two "minor" cavities. The dentist said they were barely very much and they caught them just in time.

The dentist gave me multiple injections for numbing because it would not numb correctly. I was miserable the entire time and was feeling them drilling despite having anesthetic. She gave me so many injections that she said that she damaged my capillaries in my gums. They were purple.

The dentist drilled the cavities and then handed it over to the dental hygenist who took approximately an hour to fill these two cavities. Then she filed the tooth down with the drill thing - all the while I am still in pain, because she is drilling and I'm not numb anymore.

It is now 6 days later and I am still in pain. Sore, achy pain in my tooth and gums. Is this normal? Also is it normal for dental assistants to do fillings and then file and shape the tooth?

Thanks,
Emily

Answer
hi emily!
i am so sorry for ur plight. the pain and discomfort u describe does point to a bad filling procedure in its most innocuous form. however this could also point towards a root canal infection if the decay was big to begin with and there was a diagnosis error to begin with.
as far as the legal implications of a hygienist working in ur mouth are concerned, a local lawyer is a better source. in my country its illegal and considered below the standard of care.
do visit your dentist for a more thorough checkup. xrays and vitality tests help in clinching a diagnosis!
best wishes  

Dentistry

dr mayank kaurani BDS, MDS