Dentistry/Tooth pain

I went to the dentist the other day for two "minor" cavities. The dentist said they were barely very much and they caught them just in time.

The dentist gave me multiple injections for numbing because it would not numb correctly. I was miserable the entire time and was feeling them drilling despite having anesthetic. She gave me so many injections that she said that she damaged my capillaries in my gums. They were purple.

The dentist drilled the cavities and then handed it over to the dental hygenist who took approximately an hour to fill these two cavities. Then she filed the tooth down with the drill thing - all the while I am still in pain, because she is drilling and I'm not numb anymore.

It is now 6 days later and I am still in pain. Sore, achy pain in my tooth and gums. Is this normal? Also is it normal for dental assistants to do fillings and then file and shape the tooth?

hi emily!
i am so sorry for ur plight. the pain and discomfort u describe does point to a bad filling procedure in its most innocuous form. however this could also point towards a root canal infection if the decay was big to begin with and there was a diagnosis error to begin with.
as far as the legal implications of a hygienist working in ur mouth are concerned, a local lawyer is a better source. in my country its illegal and considered below the standard of care.
do visit your dentist for a more thorough checkup. xrays and vitality tests help in clinching a diagnosis!
best wishes  

dr mayank kaurani BDS, MDS

rootcanals, cosmetic dentistry, dental pain, cavities, tooth colored fillings, endodontic diagnosis, post & cores, ceramic veneers, composite fillings, dental whitening, bleaching etc. please remember: i cannot treat you online and neither can i touch your teeth or test their health! i can give you general suggestions and critically evaluate various treatments and offer my advice.

14 years of clinical experience. i am a professor in a postgraduate dental school, in the department of endodontics. my primary field of specialization is in endodontics and conservative dentistry. i am a consultant endodontist in private dental clinics and run my own clinic restricted to conservative dentistry & endodontics since 2006.

DENTAL SPA, JAIPUR (INDIA). Mahatma Gandhi Dental College, jaipur(india)

new york state dental journal journal of contemporary dental practise

BDS, MDS (conservative dentistry & endodontics)