Dentistry/top tooth with no bottom tooth

Question
I had molar teeth pulled years ago. I had one more bottom pulled than top. My question is: will the top tooth "fall out" without its corresponding bottom tooth? I ask this, because after years of no bottom tooth, the top one doesn't line up with the rest any longer, it sits further down.

Answer
Dear Jen,

You've answered your own question.  The answer for you is "yes".

This happens in about 75% of patients who have lost a tooth.  The tooth that opposes it (chews against it) will slowly elevate out of the gum, looking for a tooth to chew against.   And the teeth that used to be next to it will move into the space that the lost tooth created, in an attempt to close that gap.  There are some people for whom this does not happen.  But you are already noticing the change.

Your unopposed tooth will likely continue to grow out of your gum until it becomes loose from lack of root support.

As dentists, we are taught that all teeth that are lost must be replaced to prevent further tooth loss from this kind of action.  The problem is that replacing missing teeth can seem expensive. So the process of tooth movement for them will continue until all the teeth are lost.

Since you are noticing this movement, it's time to contact your dentist to find out what you can do to correct this, or at least to prevent further tooth loss.

Dentistry

Howard Finnk, D.D.S., P.A., CEO