Dentistry/Bridge

Question
Hi Doctor
Hope you are enjoying your retirement!
I just got dental work for a bridge, and currently I have the temporary. Though generally painless, I can 'feel' it there all the time, but it gets quite painfull after eating. The most pain is on the top of the gum (lower bottom back teeth) where the new temporary bridge is sitting.
Is this common with new bridges, or just in temporaries? I have another bridge on the other side and had no problems. The gap where this bridge went however was a weird shape, and it took a while until my dentist was satisfied. By the way, he is not my regular dentist, he is the one that specialises in this work and he is very good. Of course I will let him know,just wanted your thoughts. Thanks!

Answer
Bud -  I cannot be sure without examining you, but it sounds like the dentist did not completely balance your bite.  This lack of balance creates a tendency to traumatize the bite.  This sporadic trauma can affect the ligament that holds the tooth to the bone.  It is best that the dentist properly balance the bite or the trauma can damage the bone and ligaments along with the nerve of the tooth.

Dentistry

Joel S. Teig, DMD, Diplomate ABOMS, retired