Dentistry/Dry mouth after wisdom tooth removed

My husband had a wisdom tooth removed 6 months ago.  He had major issues with a dry socket and went back to oral surgeon three times for treatment.  Afterwards, he developed a very DRY painful mouth.  Oral surgeon sent him to ENT doctor who prescribed some meds.  Nothing has really worked and he is still suffering with this dry mouth.  At first ENT dr said it could be caused by the wisdom tooth surgery but when he went back to ENT for follow up he said since it has been 6 months since surgery, he does not think it is caused by the surgery.  The doctor increased med to 4 pills a day to increase saliva and gave him a stronger mouth rinse but this still has not helped.  Is there a possibility that nerve damage from wisdom tooth could take longer than 6 months to heal?

Kathy -  The dry mouth is not often caused by nerve damage.  Rather, the glands that make saliva in the mouth or in other surrounding areas would have to be damaged.  Dry sockets and its treatment should also not cause a dry mouth.  

I wish I could provide a more definitive reason, but without examining your husband it is a little difficult for me.  You don't say what medications he  might be taking, but they are often the cause.  

If he does not get better soon, it might be a good idea to have him examined by an epidemiologist.

Joel S. Teig, DMD, Diplomate ABOMS, retired

I am a board certified oral and maxillofacial surgeon and I am available to answer questions related to tooth extractions, implant insertion, facial recontruction, facial and oral tumor removal, TMJ dysfunction and various successful treatments, including surgery if all else fails, and occlusal discrepancy requiring orthognathic or jaw surgery.

Board Certified Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeon practicine for over 20 years. Assistant Clincal Professor and State University School of Dentistry.

American Dental Association, American Association of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeons, American Board of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeons

BA -University of Connecticut DMD - University of Pennsylvania School of Dental Medicine

National Honor Society (OKU), Philadelphia County Dental Society, Mosby Book Award, Oral Surgery Honors, Summa Cum Laude