Dentistry/Ectodermal Dysplasia

Question
Hello, my name is Cayla, I'm 16 and I live in Upstate, NY. About a year ago I was diagnosed with Ectodermal Dysplasia by a dentist at Aspen dental. I've had problems with my teeth since I was born, (I was born with no enamel on my baby teeth) we were told that it would be rare for it to affect my adult teeth, but it has. My teeth are rotting from the inside out, have little to no enamel, are extremely fragile, and most are either broken down to the gum line or badly chipped/broken. I'm writing you in hopes that you may be able to point my mom and I in the right direction for treatment. We have Medicaid/HMO blue for insurance and I'm on SSDI (For mental health) so we're having trouble finding someone who will take our insurance to extract all my teeth and put in implants. Aspen only accepts private insurance, so in order for us to have them do it, we'd need about $16,000-$18,000 and well, we just don't have that. It's getting harder day by day to eat, drink, and sometimes talk. Do you know of anyone in New York who would take my insurance, and who could help. I'll need someone experienced in Ectodermal Dysplasia who can perform the operations I need. Any help/advice is highly appreciated, thank you for your time.

Answer
Dear Cayla:
I am sorry to hear of your troubles.  Your situation is not common, and as such, you should really see a dental specialist called a prosthodontist.  Most prosthodontists will be expensive.  However, many have an affiliation with a hospital, or a dental school who will be able to help.  New York is a very big state and I do not know what is available in your area.
Go to www.gotoapro.org and look up a prosthodontist near you.  Even if you only go in for a consultation, it will be worth it.  It will help you and your family make some long term plans.  There are grants available for treatment such as yours, but they are generally given to dental school specialty training programs.
I'll be more than happy to talk to your or your mother by phone and point you in the right direction.
Best of luck to you.

Dentistry

Zev Kaufman, D.D.S.