Dentistry/irritated jaw/left side of mouth

i do have a wisdom tooth on the bottom left that has or is coming in although at 37 i assume i am passed the stage of them still wanting to come in and i understand even if it has come in fine it can still cause a problem but the pain i am having i was able to figure was occurring where the jaw/mouth opens when i open my mouth there is no pain but when i close it there is some irritation i do not have a photo and i am not necessarily concerned its cancer but it is somewhat painful i do have some tmj issues which it could have caused this and also on the same side above the pain is a broken tooth that would seemingly be the culprit i guess it could be a lesion from that tooth cutting the back near the wisdom tooth but the pain at least when i put my finger on the area seems isolated on the left jaw opening area hahaha you know what i mean so i hope i am assuming correctly that its some sort of irritation or lesion do to the broken tooth coming in contact i guess i am mainly worried that the wisdom tooth although not painful anymore it was like over 10 years ago but i am wandering if the wisdom tooth could have grown into the jaw line i don't think so cause it just happened recent not gradual ok thats enough i don't have a photo so i had to ramble

Hi Stephen,

Thank you for your question.  And yes, you were rambling which is ok, and I think I get the gist of your question.

Right now it seems like you are doing a lot of guesswork, as to what may be causing the irritation in your mouth.  Maybe it's your wisdom tooth, or that half broken tooth, maybe this, maybe that.  I would like for you to move from the guessing phase, into the fact finding phase.  This means visiting a Board Certified Dentist to do an evaluation.  Hopefully your Dentist will also take x-rays or do an MRI to get a better sense of what is happening in your mouth.

You also mentioned that you "do have TMJ issues which it could of caused."   It is very possible that your wisdom tooth, and that other half broken tooth are causing you to compensate and to bite down incorrectly.  The longer your bite continues to struggle with these issues, the more likely your TMJ joints will be effected.

I would not wait on this.  Your action plan is to call a dentist in the next day or two and start working on this.

Best Regards,
Patient Point of View  

Jonathan at PatientBabble

My area of expertise from the patients point of view would be TMJ plus the speech challenges that these jaw and bite problems sometimes represent. Over the years I have seen a multitude of dentists, orthodontists, oral surgeons, speech therapists, neurologists and other health professionals who all had an opinion about my bite problem. I am not a doctor, but would purely be a patients point of view type person. I "get it" when people say they tried to explain to their dentist what their bite problem is and that they are misunderstood. I can listen to people's trials and tribulations and there is a good chance I have been down that road before. I can make suggestions as to what people can do at home, or what questions to ask their doctor or dentist when they visit. ////// I come from a family of dentists. My first house growing up was one of those residential/dentist combination homes and I was around the dental practice all the time. My teeth had always been perfect, and in many respects they still are. I have never had a cavity and my teeth are straight. About 25 years ago, I had my wisdom teeth out and since then my bite has never felt "normal." I have learned a lot over the years as I tried to figure out my problem from the Dentists, Speech Pathologists and assorted doctors that I have visited. I will try and recall information or experiences that may be helpful to you.

Twenty-Five years ago after my wisdom teeth were removed, my bite did not feel right and then had trouble speaking. For whatever reason, the first sensation I remember was not that my bite was off.....but rather that my normal tongue and speech patterns had been impeded. The years of searching for proper treatment has underscored the importance of understanding the relationship between dental and speech methodologies.///// To this end, and to further my research, I recently attended the American Speech-Language-Hearing Association Convention (ASHA) in Atlanta. At ASHA I learned about a specialty within Speech Pathology termed “Orofacial Myology”. In laymen's terms Orofacial Myology Disorder (OMD) deals with the establishment of correct functional activities of the tongue, lips and jaw. OMD is a motor speech disorder that impacts the normal flow of speech, chewing or swallowing.///// If you believe that your struggles with your teeth also present speech, chewing or swallowing challenges, you may want to seek out a licensed Speech Language Pathologist.....preferably one that has training with Orofacial Myology Disorder.

Project Management Institute

Abridged Version of a Letter I Sent to a Health Care Professional (3/14/13): "..In my early 20's I had my wisdom teeth out. Almost immediately within a few days, something did not feel right in my mouth. I had trouble speaking. When I raised my tongue to try and touch my palate, I felt mostly just teeth. It is very cumbersome to talk and my bite also became a little bit off. If feels almost as if someone put a fork in my mouth and said "now try and speak." Very difficult. My articulation is fine, so to an observer I sound normal. But it takes a monumental effort, so I hate situations like talking on the phone or when somebody asks me to "tell them a story." ..I spent years going to different dentists, who lumped me into their generic version of what they knew about TMJ. They just automatically gravitate to what they have heard about TMJ and assume I am either stressed, or just imagining it. Years later, I look back at all those dentists and doctors and I am amazed at how little they really knew about my condition. I have seen the best dentists, including my dad who is a Orthodontist in New York, to TMJ Dentists in Atlanta and Florida. No one ever suggested that Speech Pathology may be a direction I should explore. ..And I was frustrated by the fact that several MRI's over the years, showed nothing. How could the MRI’s show nothing, and at the same time, I know something does not feel right? I do wear a night guard to sleep in, but it does not fix the trouble that I have when I try to talk. ..I went with a Speech Pathologist friend of mine to the American Speech Language Hearing (ASHA) Convention last October in Atlanta...There was a Speech Pathologist at ASHA who was saying that sometimes when you have your Wisdom Teeth taken out "late" that it could possibly cause damage to the Trigeminal Nerve and surrounding muscles.” POSTSCRIPT: At ASHA, I discovered OROFACIAL MYOLOGY (OMD) which is a specialty in Speech Pathology that addresses Oral Muscular Issues.

College Graduate with Bachelor of Arts Degree, Project Management Professional, Microsoft Certified Technology Specialist